Getting Tough on Pet Stains and Odors: Part 2
Pet parents can be divided over which is worse: messy pet stains or smelly pet odors. Here at Live The Pet Life, our vote goes to pet odors, including urine smell. But we know our pets aren’t doing it to annoy us. They might have a urine infection or other illness, be anxious about something (like a new family member), or need more potty breaks outside.
Luckily when dealing with the challenge of pet odors, we can turn to Scott Plasek, the pet stain and odor specialist with Simple Solution, for advice. In our second post in this series (click here for the first), we’re sharing some of Scott’s expert tips for eliminating pet odors and urine smell completely and stopping pets from urinating in the same spot again:
- Don’t let the nasty smell defeat you. While the smell of pet urine – particularly from cats – might make you want to pull up your carpet and buy a new one, this really is a last resort. By using the right product and following a few easy steps, you can make your carpet, rug or upholstery odor-free again.
- First, find the source. If you are not sure where the pet odors or urine smell is located – most urine is invisible under normal light – shine an ultraviolet urine detector all over your carpet, rug or upholstery. The light will illuminate any stains and you’ll know what areas need attention.
- Buy a product formulated specifically for treating and removing pet odors. Unlike stain removers, which use oxygen-activated formulas, you’ll need to use a product formulated with enzymes and “good” bacteria. These will break down the “bad” bacteria in pet stains and neutralize odors.
- Use a product with a continuous power spray. Unlike products with a trigger spray that can only reach a small area, aerosols with a continuous power spray can penetrate deep into fibers to reach the source of the odor.
- Saturate the area with the odor remover. Then, blot and let dry. Urine leaks down into backing of carpets and can spread for several inches. Be sure to saturate a wide area you are treating. You may have to treat the area more than once if it’s an old stain.
Ready to get started? Here are several Simple Solution products that will help you turn your home into an odor-free zone again:
- Spot Spotter HD Urine Detector
- Oxy Charged Stain & Odor Remover*
- Extreme Spring Breeze Stain & Odor Remover*
*good for both cat and dog odors
In our final post on this topic, Scott Plasek will talk about the science behind pet stains and odors. If you have any questions you’d like us to ask him, please post them below.